Saturday, April 11, 2009

Food can benefit your mood!





Wow, so I never thought I would learn so much about food and what it does to your body, but I as well just learned that it can affect what mood you're in! Crazy! I just read the article How Food benefits Mood and it gave me a lot of new interesting information that I had no idea about before before. The BBC did a survey with 200 people and 88% reported that changing their diet improved their mental health significantly. People in the survey said that cutting down on the "stressor" foods and increasing the amount of "supporter" foods had a beneficial affect on their mood. Stressor foods include: sugar, caffeine, alcohol, and chocolate. Supporter foods include: water, vegetables, fruit, and oil-rich fish. Another way to boost mood is by eating breakfast and eating regularly.

Richard Brook, chief executor of Mind, said, " At a simple level we all know certain foods are good for us or can affect our mood. However, linking real information and evidence with effective ways of using it can be a really efficient tool in managing your mental health." This caught my eye because it was a real survey they did that almost 90% of the people had the same answer. Food affects your mood, the better you eat, the better mood you're in. The worse you eat, the worse mood you'll be in. It makes sense. Time to start eating even more healthy all the time so I can always be in a good mood...or at least most of the time ;)

3 comments:

  1. I agree that food can help change your mood, i felt so much better when i got home from the mission and ate good foods everyday!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe it... chocolate is a miracle when you are having a bad day. Too bad, I eat chocolate even when I am not having a bad day:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Megan's comment. Also, I've noticed that many of us have blogs on eating healthier, so I feel as if it's almost a wake up call for me to change any bad nutrition habits I have and to just eat healthier.

    ReplyDelete